When I first heard the idea from a friend, four years ago, about a book premise that publishers said they were looking for, I was intrigued. For days it sat in my mind, like a small flickering ember. I tried and tried to blow on it and make it grow. But it didn't work. Finally I settled on just not letting it die out.
But after a couple of weeks, the embers still glowed and I got an idea. I got a bit of kindling and sat it on top. Those idea kindlings caught fire! And the embers glowed brighter and brighter. Before I knew it I had more ideas, and I placed the sticks ideas on the fire. When those caught fire in my brain, I was hooked.
Log upon log I stacked on top of my now brightly burning idea, until I had a complete framework of ideas, strung together and burning brightly in my mind. That framework became my book Dead Awakenings.
And now, four years later, I have taken that framework, structured it, pounded it, nailed it all together into a house surrounding my initial fire.
Yesterday I received my first Beta reader edit on my book. It was scary, and amazing at the same time. I received the review and quickly when through the grammatical problems, noting where I had missed a word, misspelled a word (cringe) or had other problems, and thought, Great! I made it through!
Then came the plot analysis and character analysis session, and it seems that there are a few leaks in my roof, but my foundation is solid and the walls are still intact!
So onward and upward I go! Now to patch up the leaks and furnish my house a bit better, making it as grand and glorious as possible before I set it in the hands of my next group of Beta Readers!
A special Thanx To author Darin Calhoun, who has been my first set of eyes on my novel!