Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The First Cut is the Deepest!

Well, I did it.  I didn't think I would, but I have.  I have made my first real, big, deep cut into my book Dead Awakenings.  It was painful, and nauseating, just think the first incision of surgery can make me queasy.  But, I think, that just like when I watch medical dramas, or real operations on television, the second, third and fourth cuts will be easier.

I cut a full five pages from my book today.  It seemed to be very needed at that point in the book.  It had been too long since any real action had taken place, and since the information was essentially told twice, I cut.

I am not a big fan of telling a whole bunch of information at once, in movies or books.  If you need to give information, break it up.  Push it around.  Let it come out of a conversation naturally and over time if possible.  Don't just have someone sit down and say "Okay here's what's going on."  Which is basically what I did.  And of course since I myself hate that, I had to cut it out, like the little cancerous growth that it was.

I know that there will be more cuts, more cancers to weed out, and I can only hope that they will be just as painless as this one was.

1 comment: